Total Pageviews

Friday, May 13, 2011

SEMESTER REFLECTION

HOLY COW—ENGLISH 102!
            At the beginning of the 2010-2011 School semester I was excited about English 102, which changed rather quickly. It wasn’t about the content that was going to be covered, the reading assignments that had to be read, or the demanding research essays. The excitement quickly vanished, all due to the topic of the research essays. Having to choose one of the MDG’s was a very difficult one. I was looking forward to choosing my own personal topic. When we had to choose a sub topic from this all ready difficult choice it made things a lot more demanding and frustrating.
            Through the course of the requirements in this class, I enjoyed the reading materials from reading from Martin Luther King Jr, and writing about his letter from the Birmingham Jail to the other writings from other African American authors. The readings were enjoyable and very entertaining to read.
            A part of this year’s requirements also included writing, since this is English 102 and writing is a key part of the English curriculum. Aside from doing the research aspect of this class there was other writing requirements. In the process of writing I found that I had a real problem with writing in first and third person. I feel that I really struggled with this and it was a carry-over problem from English 101. I have a clear and precise difference and understanding of the proper way to write college papers especially research essays. To write outside of first person and third person really makes an essay sound more scholarly. Until an individual has the credentials to actually write in a first or third person form, it is much more appropriate and effective to write form a scholarly point with proper resources. I found that the entire process of writing a proper research essay is quite encumbersome and very demanding. From the starting process of a research paper involves a lot of time and commitment to the topic that is being addressed with brainstorming, to forming a complete outline, a very thorough bibliography. Writing a successful research essay is a large multi-step process that when done right is very rewarding when you sit and read your finished work. Through this process I learned more than I thought I ever would.
            This semester has been an interesting one and an educational one as well. Beginning this semester I actually have to admit I didn’t know anything about the MDG’s. My knowledge about the eradification of hunger and starvation was very insightful, I knew that the problem was serious but I didn’t know that it was of epidemic proportion.
            The only thing I would have liked to do in the course of this class is that the topic for the research essay would have been of my own personal choice, but then it wouldn’t have been a challenge to complete the assignment. I feel that this course regarding of how demanding and difficult I actually really enjoyed everything about it, I enjoyed the discussion boards and the peer discussions. I also really enjoyed the responses to questions and the input of our instructor. Leslie provided great input with her own personal experience and knowledge; I am not sure I could have completed this class without her help and assistance with the procedures, and ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment